Monday, August 20, 2012

I'mmm back!!!

I forgot again :) This blog that is... In May we took my daughter and 3 grandkids down to San Diego. We found a 2 bedroom beach front cottage (through the Navy) to stay in. Was incredible waking to the sound of waves in the morning. Sitting on the porch and enjoying the silence. We took the kids to Sea World, San Diego Zoo, and the Safari Park. We saw a naval aircraft carrier returning home, families and friends waiting on the dock, knowing that very soon their loved ones would be in their arms. AWESOME EXPERIENCE! The time went so quickly! At each of the parks we attended some of the backstage items. I was so thrilled as the kids each told us of what they wanted most to experienced...and it all came soooo true!
At the Zoo the oldest got to see a cheetah. It was the last animal brought out at the Backstage Pass. As they were introducing the fastest animal, I heard him, in no more than a whisper "a cheetah"...then they brought out a dog. Actually the dog is a companion to the cheetah.
From the time the youngest could talk, he has been in love with and adored dolphins. Here they each got the chance to learn some of the commands as well as pet the dolphins!!!!
At the wildlife park, we each got a turn at feeding giraffes...the rule was they can pet us, but we could not pet them. I was so hard not to reach up and pet these beautiful creatures!
And the princess got to see a panda..the hightlight of her trip!and her wish fulfilled! ********************* June saw no real adventures, felt like a bit of a let down after the trip. July I started getting our vegetables and fruit from Bountiful Baskets. I love it! We have tried things that I don't normallly pick up and it is nice to not have to choke each time I try to get veggies from the store. I quickly learned that I can buy additional items for canning. Since I started doing this, I have canned a case of pineapple, blueberry jelly, peach jam, mango peach jam, and today I have just made my first ever batch of ketchup (It still has to cook down before I can put it in the jars, but the kids all sampled it and love it). I still have an entire case of tomatoes for another batch. Today I ordered our basket and have 38# of pears coming to can. YEAH! We had acquired soooo many onions that I have resorted to dehydrating some of them so they don't go bad. The kids have tried and love plantains, spaghetti squash and other squashes that I just dont tend to pick up. It is getting tough to get these as they run out quickly and are limited in quantity. so I have set my alarm so I can get on in time to get them. I do order two as I can dehydrate/can/freeze anything that may not get used in time. **************** We attended an appleseed shoot that was a bunch of fun. We were taught marksmanship and history. I would recommend this to anyone who has the opportunity to attend one. *************** Of course there is homeschool prep...that will have to be a whole other post!!! My mom has gone on a trip and will be gone until the first week in September. Since the death of her beloved, she really struggles with doing anything other than keeping the house up. Her yard had become overgrown, and many little repairs. SOOOO...I have to go down there to feed her cats, in the morning the kids and I have been working on her yard, so much to do to get it nice again, then in the evenings, I spend 2-3 hours doing jobs around the house that need doing. My beloved has taken on the task of repairs to siding and gutters that needed work, along with some preventive maintainance on her fence. I just pray that when she returns she will be truly blessed by this! While there, I have been jotting down ideas for Christmas for her :)

No comments: